Join Sean Adams for an in-depth discussion in this video What is a brand?, part of Foundations of Branding for Designers.
- Branding is perhaps the most overused…and misunderstood word in graphic design.…It has become the catch-all term…encompassing logos, identity systems,…slogans and websites.…So, before we start with "What is a brand?"…let's determine what isn't.…First and most importantly,…a logo is not a brand, unless it's on a cow.…A logo is just that - a logo.…It's job is to identify, not describe.…
The brand is the promise,…reputation, and big idea.…It is a highly valued asset.…A brand creates emotional connections,…good or bad.…We respond to brands with loyalty, or reject them.…Let's start with the promise.…Consider a brand such as FedEx.…FedEx promises fast delivery…and efficiency at a reasonable cost.…The brand may engage in other activities,…but that is the core concept that we expect.…
All of the communications, advertising,…and messaging reinforces the FedEx promise.…Next, what is the reputation?…If I've had a good and reliable experience…with FedEx and I approve of their actions,…they have a good reputation.…The opposite is true.…
- The history of branding (pre- and post-1950)
- The elements of branding
- Conducting research
- Solving problems and presenting solutions
- Creating logos and identity systems
- Building a visual system with color, typography, and more
- Communicating branding with manuals and vision books
Skill Level Beginner
3. Strategy 101
6. Visual System
Next steps1m 48s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.