Join Sean Adams for an in-depth discussion in this video Vernacular, part of Foundations of Graphic Design History.
- When we discussed Post-modernism,…we touched on the idea of Vernacular Design.…At its base definition, Vernacular architecture…speaks to the aesthetics related…to a local region or building usage.…A roadside motel is the vernacular of Route 66.…Or, exposed pipes are the vernacular of a factory.…In graphic design, this idea is about language.…What is the language of the sign for the Route 66 Motel?…In the 1980s, Tibor Kalman founded M & Co. in New York.…
He began playing with Vernacular forms from low-end designs…such as a warehouse ad or street signage as a contrast…to the slick and cold modernism of corporate America.…His design for an ad for Restaurant Florent…borrowed typography from the street,…diners, and a telephone book advertising.…Kalman didn't replicate the typography…to create a themed look.…He reinterpreted it in a fresh new way.…On a promotion for the same client, he appropriated…an agricultural etching of a hog with a diagram…of pork cuts and turns it into a map.…
The expected solution for a restaurant ad…
Beginning in the Victorian age, Sean explores the need for design in Industrial age advertising, the use of graphic design as propaganda during the two world wars, and the rise of the massively influential Bauhaus school. He sheds light on the development of poster, film-title, magazine, and album-cover design; the changing relationship between design and typography; and graphic design's role in various art movements, ranging from Art Nouveau to new wave. Get started with Foundations of Graphic Design History and discover the power of imagery.
- Why study graphic design history?
- Art Nouveau
- The Arts and Crafts movement
- The Soviet Revolution
- European avante-garde
- New Typography
- The great age of posters
- American modernism
- Post-war optimism
- The rise of the corporate identity
- Exploring the fused metaphor and the "big idea"
- Reviewing Swiss typography
- The West Coast shift
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Layout and Compositionwith Sean Adams1h 35m Beginner
Type Project: Bauhaus Book Coverwith Nigel French33m 31s Intermediate
Where next?2m 19s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.