Join Sean Adams for an in-depth discussion in this video The Soviet Revolution, part of Learning Graphic Design History.
- The first time I was given the assignment…to research graphic design and the Soviet revolution,…I thought, why should I care, I'm not a Communist.…But the way we approach graphic design today…originated during the 1917 Russian Revolution.…Let me set the stage in very simplified terms.…Russians are fighting against the Germans…during World War I.…For centuries, the ruling classes,…the Czar and monarchy, had oppressed the bulk…of the population, mostly living in poverty as peasants.…
As the population moves from an agrarian way of life…to the cities, they faced horrible conditions and disease.…When Russia enters World War I,…there were widespread food shortages…and there was tremendous inflation.…People questioned why they were fighting in a war…for leaders, who neglected their citizens.…This disillusionment triggered the explosion of revolution.…In 1918, the people rise up against the Czar,…the Russian Army abandons the war against Germany…and the Soviet state is born.…
At the onset of the revolution,…designers with radical new ideas…
Beginning in the Victorian age, Sean explores the need for design in Industrial age advertising, the use of graphic design as propaganda during the two world wars, and the rise of the massively influential Bauhaus school. He sheds light on the development of poster, film-title, magazine, and album-cover design; the changing relationship between design and typography; and graphic design's role in various art movements, ranging from Art Nouveau to new wave. Get started with Foundations of Graphic Design History and discover the power of imagery.
- Why study graphic design history?
- Art Nouveau
- The Arts and Crafts movement
- The Soviet Revolution
- European avante-garde
- New Typography
- The great age of posters
- American modernism
- Post-war optimism
- The rise of the corporate identity
- Exploring the fused metaphor and the "big idea"
- Reviewing Swiss typography
- The West Coast shift
Skill Level Beginner
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
Designing a Typographic Bauhaus Book Coverwith Nigel French33m 27s Intermediate
Where next?2m 19s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.