Join Sean Adams for an in-depth discussion in this video Fillmore, part of Foundations of Graphic Design History.
- San Francisco was the port where many…young men and women were discharged after World War 2.…Those that didn't feel that they fit in back…on the farm or the small town, stayed.…The beat movement grew in the 1950s…and the city became a haven for artists and writers.…By 1966, San Franciso was the epicenter…of the counter-culture revolution.…A small group of designers began making posters to promote…events at the Fillmore auditorium in 1966.…
The posters followed a style that was fluid and complex.…Any poster from this time period and style…is grouped together as a Fillmore poster.…It's important to realize that this was…the height of the American corporate identity,…Swiss typography and international style but the Fillmore…posters are 180 degrees from these.…We look at these today and think,…"How can anyone read that?"…The point at the time was to reject legible Swiss modernism…in favor for a more organic and a less rigid experience.…
This was also amplified by the use…of hallucinogenic drugs and other substances.…
Beginning in the Victorian age, Sean explores the need for design in Industrial age advertising, the use of graphic design as propaganda during the two world wars, and the rise of the massively influential Bauhaus school. He sheds light on the development of poster, film-title, magazine, and album-cover design; the changing relationship between design and typography; and graphic design's role in various art movements, ranging from Art Nouveau to new wave. Get started with Foundations of Graphic Design History and discover the power of imagery.
- Why study graphic design history?
- Art Nouveau
- The Arts and Crafts movement
- The Soviet Revolution
- European avante-garde
- New Typography
- The great age of posters
- American modernism
- Post-war optimism
- The rise of the corporate identity
- Exploring the fused metaphor and the "big idea"
- Reviewing Swiss typography
- The West Coast shift
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Layout and Compositionwith Sean Adams1h 35m Beginner
Type Project: Bauhaus Book Coverwith Nigel French33m 31s Intermediate
Where next?2m 19s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.