Join Sean Adams for an in-depth discussion in this video The Bauhaus: Part one, part of Learning Graphic Design History.
- Perhaps the most important influence…on contemporary design is the Bauhaus.…The Bauhaus was a school in Germany…training designers in all fields.…To this day, most design education…is based on the Bauhaus teaching method.…The Bauhaus was the place where…all the previous movements and styles came together.…At the core of all these prior movements,…constructivism, futurism, Art Nouveau, Jugendstil,…and arts and crafts was the idea that design…could make the world a better place.…
This was the guiding principle at the Bauhaus.…Walter Gropius founded the Bauhaus in 1919.…Like the leaders of the other movements at the time,…he believed the old order of aristocracy and corruption…had led Germany into the catastrophic war.…Design would create a new society…and a better way of life.…He saw the solution as a return to an earlier medieval time…when artists and craftsmen worked as one.…
But he wasn't interested in medieval romantic forms.…Like the constructivist, he viewed the machine…and an industrial civilization as the way forward.…
Beginning in the Victorian age, Sean explores the need for design in Industrial age advertising, the use of graphic design as propaganda during the two world wars, and the rise of the massively influential Bauhaus school. He sheds light on the development of poster, film-title, magazine, and album-cover design; the changing relationship between design and typography; and graphic design's role in various art movements, ranging from Art Nouveau to new wave. Get started with Foundations of Graphic Design History and discover the power of imagery.
- Why study graphic design history?
- Art Nouveau
- The Arts and Crafts movement
- The Soviet Revolution
- European avante-garde
- New Typography
- The great age of posters
- American modernism
- Post-war optimism
- The rise of the corporate identity
- Exploring the fused metaphor and the "big idea"
- Reviewing Swiss typography
- The West Coast shift
Skill Level Beginner
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
Designing a Typographic Bauhaus Book Coverwith Nigel French33m 31s Intermediate
Where next?2m 19s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.