Join Sean Adams for an in-depth discussion in this video The Bauhaus: Part Two, part of Foundations of Graphic Design History.
- Graphic design at the Bauhaus focused…on typography, shape and color.…Professors integrated the tenets of modernism…into the classes and workshops.…In product design, furniture making and architecture,…design for the masses slowly replaced…Gropius' original idea of designer as craftsman.…In graphic design, however, the refinement of form…and typography maintained the concept of craftsmanship.…Typography was one of the Bauhaus' greatest legacies;…it was bold and clear with simple sans serif fonts.…
At one point, this was simplified further…by Herbert Bayer's attempt to create…a typeface with no capital letters.…The typography was based on rational anathematical systems.…Grids and the Golden Section were part of each solution.…Every element, from a word to a hairline…rule, existed to serve a function,…from indicating where a letter begins on a letter-head,…to organizing text into the legible blocks.…Design solutions favored photography, again,…due to its realism as opposed to something handmade…or interpretive, like a painting.…
Beginning in the Victorian age, Sean explores the need for design in Industrial age advertising, the use of graphic design as propaganda during the two world wars, and the rise of the massively influential Bauhaus school. He sheds light on the development of poster, film-title, magazine, and album-cover design; the changing relationship between design and typography; and graphic design's role in various art movements, ranging from Art Nouveau to new wave. Get started with Foundations of Graphic Design History and discover the power of imagery.
- Why study graphic design history?
- Art Nouveau
- The Arts and Crafts movement
- The Soviet Revolution
- European avante-garde
- New Typography
- The great age of posters
- American modernism
- Post-war optimism
- The rise of the corporate identity
- Exploring the fused metaphor and the "big idea"
- Reviewing Swiss typography
- The West Coast shift
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Layout and Compositionwith Sean Adams1h 35m Beginner
Type Project: Bauhaus Book Coverwith Nigel French33m 31s Intermediate
Where next?2m 19s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.