Join Sean Adams for an in-depth discussion in this video Arts and Crafts, part of Learning Graphic Design History.
- It would be simpler if I stated that one style…of design displaced the previous style, and everything…in design history was nice and sequential.…But movements and styles tend to overlap,…or branch into other areas and ideas.…This is the case with Art Nouveau…and the Arts and Crafts movement.…They share similar principles, and occurred in…the same approximate time, but have different results.…William Morris is the acknowledged…leader of the arts and crafts movement.…Like the artists who worked in the art nouveau genre,…Morris also rejected the Industrial Revolution's…bad quality and lack of skilled workmanship.…
His book design embraced the idea of the artist and worker…coming together to make a unique object of beauty.…The books of the Arts and Crafts movement were often…printed on small presses with limited quantities.…The emphasis was on quality, not quantity.…Every part of the book, from the typeface,…pattern, paper, binding, and materials, was refined.…This reflected the importance of craft over mass production.…
Beginning in the Victorian age, Sean explores the need for design in Industrial age advertising, the use of graphic design as propaganda during the two world wars, and the rise of the massively influential Bauhaus school. He sheds light on the development of poster, film-title, magazine, and album-cover design; the changing relationship between design and typography; and graphic design's role in various art movements, ranging from Art Nouveau to new wave. Get started with Foundations of Graphic Design History and discover the power of imagery.
- Why study graphic design history?
- Art Nouveau
- The Arts and Crafts movement
- The Soviet Revolution
- European avante-garde
- New Typography
- The great age of posters
- American modernism
- Post-war optimism
- The rise of the corporate identity
- Exploring the fused metaphor and the "big idea"
- Reviewing Swiss typography
- The West Coast shift
Skill Level Beginner
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
Designing a Typographic Bauhaus Book Coverwith Nigel French33m 31s Intermediate
Where next?2m 19s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.