Understand the value and content of a blog.
- In 2008, I finished my first term…as AIGA National President.…I loved serving,…but my job was to represent the entire profession,…not my personal opinions.…I decided to start a blog as a way to set…free all the personal opinions I'd kept…under wraps for three years.…I started my blog, "Burning Settlers Cabin" then,…and it's evolved into a strong brand…and it's regularly listed as one of the…top ten design blogs.…Now, I did this as a way to talk about…anything I wanted.…
But I stumbled onto the reality that a blog…is a great way to maintain your public…voice and presence.…It gives your audience new content regularly,…let's them learn your personal voice,…and creates a connection.…People want to work with other people,…not impersonal companies.…A blog is a great way to increase SEO.…Search engines like new content…and if you add to your blog regularly,…this happens naturally.…This is a better option than waiting until you…finish your project to update your website,…which may happen less frequently.…
Depending on what you are posting,…
In this course, Sean takes you through the steps of determining what your design identity is and developing the essential pieces every promotional system needs. He takes a deep dive into some of the more complex and critical components, such as developing an effective and elegant website, and also touches on topics one might not think of—such as writing an effective bio and working with colleges to give back and brand build. Learn how to let the world know who you are and what you do. Start promoting your design career now.
- Compiling brand assets: your CV, images, and project descriptions
- Creating a website to showcase you and your portfolio
- Creating business cards
- Sending thank-yous
- Managing your social media presence
- Joining AIGA and other design organizations
- Participating in events and conferences
Skill Level Beginner
Running a Design Business: Starting Smallwith Petrula Vrontikis1h 33m Appropriate for all
1. The Brand Assets
2. Your Website
3. Print Materials
4. Communications and Social Media
Next steps3m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.