Understand the downside of designing your own materials.
- I worked with an architect once…who had a rather large ego.…At every meeting, he reminded me how important…and talented he was.…He also told me at least 20 times,…that he would be designing his own logo, stationery,…promotional materials, and website himself,…but he just didn't have the time.…After the 21st time hearing this, I answered,…"That's funny, I was going to design and build an addition…"to my house, but I don't have the time."…I assume mistakenly that most people understand…the downside of designing their own materials…if they are not a graphic designer.…
The technology today makes it appear easy.…Why should I spend money on something I can do myself?…After all, it's just a logo, how hard could that be?…Compounding the problem is the fact…that good design should look effortless.…Desperate and contrived design doesn't work.…Good graphic designers know this.…It takes time, labor, and experience…to design a successful solution.…I'm going to walk down a hypothetical case study…to help make this clearer.…
Sean Adams champions design internationally on behalf of his work with AIGA. Here he breaks down the walls between designers and clients so they can have a more collaborative and successful experience. There are whys and hows, dos and don'ts, and simple strategies for finding good partnerships, cooperating on designs, and negotiating fees, from both sides of the table. Plus, learn ways to gauge the return on investment and provide proof the design is working.
- Why hire a graphic designer?
- How do you find a graphic designer?
- How much do graphic design projects cost?
- How much should graphic designers charge?
- What are a graphic designer's responsibilities?
- How can a graphic designer prove a design is successful?