Learn what separates the professional from an amateur designer.
- Recently I made a video for Photoshop's 25th anniversary…demonstrating how design projects happened…before the computer.…I was amazed at the reaction.…People from all over the world commented…how hard it looked to do everything by hand…and how much skill was needed.…20 years ago graphic designers were a small group…of strange people obsessed with things like serifs.…Today we're still a strange group of serif lovers,…but because the digital age made the tools accessible…everyone and their cousin is now a graphic designer.…
So what separates the professional designer…from the amateur?…I'll start with the basics.…As a professional you charge appropriately…for your rare creative services,…you follow guidelines set up by A-I-J…or the Graphic Arts Guild.…You work with projects holistically,…looking at the entire problem.…And you support and enrich the graphic design profession.…In short, you have the skills to do the work,…education to make it amazing,…and creative concepts beyond simple layout.…
An amateur designer is what I was when I was in high school.…
Sean Adams champions design internationally on behalf of his work with AIGA. Here he breaks down the walls between designers and clients so they can have a more collaborative and successful experience. There are whys and hows, dos and don'ts, and simple strategies for finding good partnerships, cooperating on designs, and negotiating fees, from both sides of the table. Plus, learn ways to gauge the return on investment and provide proof the design is working.
- Why hire a graphic designer?
- How do you find a graphic designer?
- How much do graphic design projects cost?
- How much should graphic designers charge?
- What are a graphic designer's responsibilities?
- How can a graphic designer prove a design is successful?