Learn how to prepare for a speaking engagement: what works and what doesn't.
- My first big speaking engagement was a disaster.…It was the AIJ national business conference,…and I was 28 years old.…I had my speech and images ready and felt pretty cocky.…Before heading out onto the stage, one of the organizers…said, "Sorry, we're running long.…"Instead of 30 minutes, you have 15."…On stage I kept watching the clock count down…and tried to edit my speech as I went.…The end result was a lecture that made absolutely no sense.…I think I was cutting sentences in half.…
After that, I made it my mission…to never fail again at a speaking engagement.…First, everyone is nervous in front of an audience.…I've seen the most successful designers backstage…freaked out and then totally smooth once they walk out.…The way I found to handle this…is to recognize that the audience wants you to succeed.…They're not like spectators at a Roman gladiator fight.…20% will think you were great, 5% won't,…and the rest are probably thinking…about picking up milk on the way home.…
Second, be prepared.…Find out how long you have for your presentation…
In this course, Sean takes you through the steps of determining what your design identity is and developing the essential pieces every promotional system needs. He takes a deep dive into some of the more complex and critical components, such as developing an effective and elegant website, and also touches on topics one might not think of—such as writing an effective bio and working with colleges to give back and brand build. Learn how to let the world know who you are and what you do. Start promoting your design career now.
- Compiling brand assets: your CV, images, and project descriptions
- Creating a website to showcase you and your portfolio
- Creating business cards
- Sending thank-yous
- Managing your social media presence
- Joining AIGA and other design organizations
- Participating in events and conferences
Skill Level Beginner
Running a Design Business: Starting Smallwith Petrula Vrontikis1h 33m Appropriate for all
1. The Brand Assets
2. Your Website
3. Print Materials
4. Communications and Social Media
Next steps3m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.