Learn what projects and how best to present them.
- I once spent time helping a book designer on his website.…The work was beautiful with a wide range of subjects.…I looked forward to the challenge…to work with a purely print and typographic designer…in a screen based media.…Rather than having his books photographed,…he videotaped each one as the pages were turned.…This sounds like a nice idea,…but was like watching grass grow.…Fortunately, I was able to persuade him…to forego the endless page turning…and make beautiful still images.…
With only a few seconds to tell a story,…your projects need to be clear, direct, and seductive.…First, let's presume everyone's screen…may be calibrated differently.…Orange on my screen…might look slightly yellow,…but slightly red on yours.…Second, someone will be looking at your site…on a mobile device.…This requires images to be clear…and easy to read at a small scale.…A bright poster will be easier to read…than a typographic book project.…
In the instance of a project…that has beautiful typographic details,…create images that show these up close.…
In this course, Sean takes you through the steps of determining what your design identity is and developing the essential pieces every promotional system needs. He takes a deep dive into some of the more complex and critical components, such as developing an effective and elegant website, and also touches on topics one might not think of—such as writing an effective bio and working with colleges to give back and brand build. Learn how to let the world know who you are and what you do. Start promoting your design career now.
- Compiling brand assets: your CV, images, and project descriptions
- Creating a website to showcase you and your portfolio
- Creating business cards
- Sending thank-yous
- Managing your social media presence
- Joining AIGA and other design organizations
- Participating in events and conferences
Skill Level Beginner
Running a Design Business: Starting Smallwith Petrula Vrontikis1h 33m Appropriate for all
1. The Brand Assets
2. Your Website
3. Print Materials
4. Communications and Social Media
Next steps3m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.