Learn how to write a compelling and clear project description.
- I've written several books about design…and branding over the last 15 years.…One of the challenges of writing a book…is finding examples from a range of designers.…At one point I asked an up and coming designer…to send me images relating to a logo he had designed…that was especially beautiful.…I had to ask several times…before he sent the images.…When I received them there were no descriptions…or captions.…Getting those, was like pulling teeth.…Finally, with a deadline around the corner,…I wrote the captions myself…doing my best to get them correct.…
After the book was released…the designer called me and was unhappy…that a project I thought was a hotel…was actually a financial planning firm.…Having simple project descriptions and captions…keeps your project from being misidentified…as entirely something wrong.…A project description should be short, clear…and to the point.…Write this as soon as you finish the project…and the image assets are made.…I found when I revisit a project a year later…I've forgotten the details.…
In this course, Sean takes you through the steps of determining what your design identity is and developing the essential pieces every promotional system needs. He takes a deep dive into some of the more complex and critical components, such as developing an effective and elegant website, and also touches on topics one might not think of—such as writing an effective bio and working with colleges to give back and brand build. Learn how to let the world know who you are and what you do. Start promoting your design career now.
- Compiling brand assets: your CV, images, and project descriptions
- Creating a website to showcase you and your portfolio
- Creating business cards
- Sending thank-yous
- Managing your social media presence
- Joining AIGA and other design organizations
- Participating in events and conferences
Skill Level Beginner
Running a Design Business: Starting Smallwith Petrula Vrontikis1h 33m Appropriate for all
1. The Brand Assets
2. Your Website
3. Print Materials
4. Communications and Social Media
Next steps3m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.