Learn what printed matter should be created, what is successful, and what is not.
- While you're developing your website…you will probably be creating printed material.…Yes, the website will have a much stronger presence…and larger viewer-ship…but people still like to hold something physical.…I have post-cards and all types of material…from other designers in my office.…On my bookshelves, taped to my monitor…or on the wall.…I'm sure most of you…like me, have a big plastic bin…of printed materials I've received that I love.…I don't know what I'll do with it…but I'm glad I have it.…
The basic elements will be your identity system.…With a stationary package and business card.…There are multiple ways of producing these…and we'll cover these in the next segment.…I found it useful to also have a set of cards or post-cards…that you can use to quickly jot down a note…or send a thank-you.…For many years, designers spent tens of thousands of dollars…producing big, flashy and lavishly printed booklets…show-casing their work.…At the time, this worked.…
It reinforced that the designer was experienced…and successful.…
In this course, Sean takes you through the steps of determining what your design identity is and developing the essential pieces every promotional system needs. He takes a deep dive into some of the more complex and critical components, such as developing an effective and elegant website, and also touches on topics one might not think of—such as writing an effective bio and working with colleges to give back and brand build. Learn how to let the world know who you are and what you do. Start promoting your design career now.
- Compiling brand assets: your CV, images, and project descriptions
- Creating a website to showcase you and your portfolio
- Creating business cards
- Sending thank-yous
- Managing your social media presence
- Joining AIGA and other design organizations
- Participating in events and conferences
Skill Level Beginner
Running a Design Business: Starting Smallwith Petrula Vrontikis1h 33m Appropriate for all
1. The Brand Assets
2. Your Website
3. Print Materials
4. Communications and Social Media
Next steps3m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.