Join Sean Adams for an in-depth discussion in this video Next steps, part of Running a Design Business: Self Promotion.
- Running a design business is like any other business.…It's not easy, but can be incredibly rewarding.…Self-promotion is one…of the most difficult elements of the job.…It feels awkward, gets in the way of paying jobs,…and goes against our upbringing,…where humility is a virtue,…but it has nothing to do with self-aggrandizement.…It is the same thing we do for our clients:…build a brand and get the message out there in the world.…Let's recap.…The most important piece of the puzzle is your brand.…
What makes it special, different, and compelling?…You've defined a set of attributes…and built an identity…and visual system to match these.…You've avoided cheesy names…like Fliberdee Gibet Designs spelled with a Z,…and you've created something that can evolve over time.…You now should be accustomed…to documenting each project…as the last step of a job.…You've learned how to create a simple image asset library…and continue to update it.…As a reminder, add project descriptions as you go.…
Don't wait until you're up against a deadline…
In this course, Sean takes you through the steps of determining what your design identity is and developing the essential pieces every promotional system needs. He takes a deep dive into some of the more complex and critical components, such as developing an effective and elegant website, and also touches on topics one might not think of—such as writing an effective bio and working with colleges to give back and brand build. Learn how to let the world know who you are and what you do. Start promoting your design career now.
- Compiling brand assets: your CV, images, and project descriptions
- Creating a website to showcase you and your portfolio
- Creating business cards
- Sending thank-yous
- Managing your social media presence
- Joining AIGA and other design organizations
- Participating in events and conferences
Skill Level Beginner
Running a Design Business: Starting Smallwith Petrula Vrontikis1h 33m Intermediate
1. The Brand Assets
2. Your Website
3. Print Materials
4. Communications and Social Media
Next steps3m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.