Understand how to evolve your message and brand over time.
- View Offline
- I'm pretty sure I'd look foolish…if I dressed in the same fashion as a teenager today.…The same thing is true if I were to use…the same message I did when I started out.…Somehow, I don't think anyone will buy the story…of the "Young and untried designer, ready to…"tackle the world".…Over the years, I've needed to modify the message…to match who I was and what I was doing.…Saul Bass and Lou Danziger were two of my mentors.…They told me to never get hot, but to always…stay very warm.…
Because, if you're hot, eventually you won't be any more.…They also gave me a preview of the arc…of a designer's career.…At the beginning, you're the new hot thing everyone…wants to know.…After a while, this cools down, and you evolve into…more established work.…A couple of decades into it, you'll be out of fashion.…But if you can ride this out, you'll end up…in the Legend category.…The most important part is knowing where you are…on the timeline, and acting accordingly.…
It's impossible to play out the "New kid on the block"…message forever.…
In this course, Sean takes you through the steps of determining what your design identity is and developing the essential pieces every promotional system needs. He takes a deep dive into some of the more complex and critical components, such as developing an effective and elegant website, and also touches on topics one might not think of—such as writing an effective bio and working with colleges to give back and brand build. Learn how to let the world know who you are and what you do. Start promoting your design career now.
- Compiling brand assets: your CV, images, and project descriptions
- Creating a website to showcase you and your portfolio
- Creating business cards
- Sending thank-yous
- Managing your social media presence
- Joining AIGA and other design organizations
- Participating in events and conferences