Understand how to evolve your message and brand over time.
- I'm pretty sure I'd look foolish…if I dressed in the same fashion as a teenager today.…The same thing is true if I were to use…the same message I did when I started out.…Somehow, I don't think anyone will buy the story…of the "Young and untried designer, ready to…"tackle the world".…Over the years, I've needed to modify the message…to match who I was and what I was doing.…Saul Bass and Lou Danziger were two of my mentors.…They told me to never get hot, but to always…stay very warm.…
Because, if you're hot, eventually you won't be any more.…They also gave me a preview of the arc…of a designer's career.…At the beginning, you're the new hot thing everyone…wants to know.…After a while, this cools down, and you evolve into…more established work.…A couple of decades into it, you'll be out of fashion.…But if you can ride this out, you'll end up…in the Legend category.…The most important part is knowing where you are…on the timeline, and acting accordingly.…
It's impossible to play out the "New kid on the block"…message forever.…
In this course, Sean takes you through the steps of determining what your design identity is and developing the essential pieces every promotional system needs. He takes a deep dive into some of the more complex and critical components, such as developing an effective and elegant website, and also touches on topics one might not think of—such as writing an effective bio and working with colleges to give back and brand build. Learn how to let the world know who you are and what you do. Start promoting your design career now.
- Compiling brand assets: your CV, images, and project descriptions
- Creating a website to showcase you and your portfolio
- Creating business cards
- Sending thank-yous
- Managing your social media presence
- Joining AIGA and other design organizations
- Participating in events and conferences
Skill Level Beginner
Running a Design Business: Starting Smallwith Petrula Vrontikis1h 33m Appropriate for all
1. The Brand Assets
2. Your Website
3. Print Materials
4. Communications and Social Media
Next steps3m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.