Understand why a professional collection of image assets is critical and how to create them.
- Your work and process is your product.…Your brand represents these.…If your client were a bakery,…you would show the cakes on the website.…Talking about them in text won't do the job.…The same is true as a designer.…In the end, if I go to your website,…I want to see your work.…Documenting the work and uploading it…is as important as any other aspect…of running a design business, whether…you're a freelancer or run a firm.…For several years, I wrote a magazine column…featuring a different designer each month.…
I enjoyed the chance to promote good design…and perhaps give some inspiration to a reader.…At a conference, someone said to me,…"You only cover famous designers.…Why don't you find new, unknown ones?"…The reality was that, each month, I would…desperately try to work with a designer,…typically not covered.…He or she would typically be incredibly…excited about the idea.…I'd begin writing and ask for images for the article.…Nothing would show up.…As the deadline grew closer, I'd beg.…
The designer usually said, "I'm shooting the work now.…
In this course, Sean takes you through the steps of determining what your design identity is and developing the essential pieces every promotional system needs. He takes a deep dive into some of the more complex and critical components, such as developing an effective and elegant website, and also touches on topics one might not think of—such as writing an effective bio and working with colleges to give back and brand build. Learn how to let the world know who you are and what you do. Start promoting your design career now.
- Compiling brand assets: your CV, images, and project descriptions
- Creating a website to showcase you and your portfolio
- Creating business cards
- Sending thank-yous
- Managing your social media presence
- Joining AIGA and other design organizations
- Participating in events and conferences
Skill Level Beginner
Running a Design Business: Starting Smallwith Petrula Vrontikis1h 33m Intermediate
1. The Brand Assets
2. Your Website
3. Print Materials
4. Communications and Social Media
Next steps3m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.