Join Sean Adams for an in-depth discussion in this video How to contact editors and authors, part of Running a Design Business: Self Promotion.
- When I began my career, I was certain…that authors and editors would see one of my projects,…and race to publish it.…That didn't happen.…I learned, that being a quiet and polite wallflower,…waiting to be discovered, got me nowhere fast.…In order to be published and expand your brand presence,…you need to do the contacting,…and the best way to do that, is to do your research,…and boldly contact them, albeit nicely.…Terry Stone, the author of many books and articles,…and Patrick Coyne, the editor and designer of…Communication Arts Magazine, both gave me some great tips,…from the editor and author side.…
First, pitch editors ideas, not just your work.…You can contact magazine editors directly,…and send them self promotion items,…and you can pitch them story ideas.…What's something that interests you in the profession?…Are there trends you see?…It's unlikely that they will want to do a story…on you alone, but it could happen.…It's more likely, they will want to write about…a trend or aspect of practice you suggest,…
In this course, Sean takes you through the steps of determining what your design identity is and developing the essential pieces every promotional system needs. He takes a deep dive into some of the more complex and critical components, such as developing an effective and elegant website, and also touches on topics one might not think of—such as writing an effective bio and working with colleges to give back and brand build. Learn how to let the world know who you are and what you do. Start promoting your design career now.
- Compiling brand assets: your CV, images, and project descriptions
- Creating a website to showcase you and your portfolio
- Creating business cards
- Sending thank-yous
- Managing your social media presence
- Joining AIGA and other design organizations
- Participating in events and conferences
Skill Level Beginner
Running a Design Business: Starting Smallwith Petrula Vrontikis1h 33m Appropriate for all
1. The Brand Assets
2. Your Website
3. Print Materials
4. Communications and Social Media
Next steps3m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.