Understand what works on a designer's homepage and what doesn't.
- [Voiceover] Your homepage is more…than a front door or entrance to your site.…It's the first impression.…It needs to set the tone,…communicate your brand message,…and work well.…A good homepage is the same…as meeting someone in your best clothes…and saying all the right things.…When I'm introduced to someone,…I like to make a good impression.…Rather than shouting all my accomplishments at them,…I listen and have a conversation.…Your homepage is the same.…It needs to be clear and helpful to the user.…It shouldn't make them work for every bit of information.…
Unfortunately, if a visitor doesn't understand who you are…and what you do within seconds,…he or she will leave the site.…The homepage needs to clearly state who you are,…what you do, and why you do it.…If the message isn't coming through clearly…with the images of work, put it in text.…You can't be too direct and clear.…The homepage is not the place…for coy and subtle messages.…The homepage also needs to be user-friendly.…Banners, animations, and your favorite song…
In this course, Sean takes you through the steps of determining what your design identity is and developing the essential pieces every promotional system needs. He takes a deep dive into some of the more complex and critical components, such as developing an effective and elegant website, and also touches on topics one might not think of—such as writing an effective bio and working with colleges to give back and brand build. Learn how to let the world know who you are and what you do. Start promoting your design career now.
- Compiling brand assets: your CV, images, and project descriptions
- Creating a website to showcase you and your portfolio
- Creating business cards
- Sending thank-yous
- Managing your social media presence
- Joining AIGA and other design organizations
- Participating in events and conferences
Skill Level Beginner
Running a Design Business: Starting Smallwith Petrula Vrontikis1h 33m Appropriate for all
1. The Brand Assets
2. Your Website
3. Print Materials
4. Communications and Social Media
Next steps3m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.