Understand what a magazine, online site, or author for a book is looking for and what doesn’t matter.
- There are many different books, websites,…and in-person courses that provide tools for…writing books, getting the right PR,…and finding ways to have your work published…in print or online.…Many of these are useful.…In the end however, the way to do it…is not too complicated.…With good work, effort, and some thought,…you'll find a wide range of opportunities.…Here is the basic fact.…Books, magazines, and websites need content.…They all need an ongoing source of work…that reinforces whatever story is being told.…
Here is another fact.…A tiny percentage of the design profession…responds in a timely manner with that content…and is published.…When I get an email from someone writing a book…or article asking for work, I send those images…to that writer immediately.…This goes back to having that strong…and well organized image asset library.…This is a place where size matters.…The images need to be large enough to reproduce well.…You should have a 72 dpi,…1500 pixel wide or tall version for online use.…
And a 300 dpi, 10 inch wide or tall version…
In this course, Sean takes you through the steps of determining what your design identity is and developing the essential pieces every promotional system needs. He takes a deep dive into some of the more complex and critical components, such as developing an effective and elegant website, and also touches on topics one might not think of—such as writing an effective bio and working with colleges to give back and brand build. Learn how to let the world know who you are and what you do. Start promoting your design career now.
- Compiling brand assets: your CV, images, and project descriptions
- Creating a website to showcase you and your portfolio
- Creating business cards
- Sending thank-yous
- Managing your social media presence
- Joining AIGA and other design organizations
- Participating in events and conferences
Skill Level Beginner
Running a Design Business: Starting Smallwith Petrula Vrontikis1h 33m Intermediate
1. The Brand Assets
2. Your Website
3. Print Materials
4. Communications and Social Media
Next steps3m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.