Developing Ideas and Design Concepts
After landing a client, the designer's first chore is to communicate and develop the initial idea, whether it's a storyboard for a film or ad, or a multifaceted marketing campaign for a product or service. Learn how to transform a client's request into a presentable concept in this course. Craig Smallish walks through the development process for various creative scenarios, from assessing the client and the scope of the job to free-associating and sketching your ideas. Learn to create descriptive copy to accompany your visuals and create iteration after iteration of your design. Finally, Craig shows how to choose your strongest idea through a process of refinement.
- What is concepting?
- Working with clients
- Doing your research
- Determining the core values of a product or service
- Using free association
- Building the written descriptives
- Using search engines to fuel ideas
- Flipping your ideas 180 degrees
- Creating a rough sketch
- Defining the refined sketch
- Hi, I'm Craig Smallish. Being involved in the creative industry as an art director, illustrator, and educator has enabled me to develop useful strategies for building original concepts. Dwindling time and budgets make it vital to have a concept development process that works effectively. So that every assignment stands a far better chance of being successful. In this course, we'll target key strategies that creatives can use to develop their best work. From storytelling scenarios to viewing online resources with a new perspective, to spinning your concept 180 degrees.
These unique resources can speed your process and improve the concepts you develop. The strategies I'll demonstrate in these lessons will help you push your creativity to a new level. So the next time you're experiencing a creative block, or when the pressure of a deadline or a tight budget is cramping your creativity, you'll be ready, armed with methods to help you develop and design your very best ideas. Let's get started.
Creativity Training: Generate Ideas in Greater Quantity and Quality127,129 Views
Insights on Illustrative Design133,343 Views
Developing a Mood Board91,289 Views
Foundations of Typography: Color, Contrast, and Scale110,792 Views
Creative Inspirations: Doyald Young, Logotype Designer108,124 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Fundamentals1,678,359 Views
3ds Max 2015 Essential Training515,189 Views
Photoshop CC 2013 One-on-One: Fundamentals1,448,203 Views
After Effects CC Essential Training2,632,490 Views
3ds Max 2013 Essential Training827,524 Views