Learn about the types of conferences and events in graphic design.
- When I suggest that a designer…attend the next design conference…or a local design event, I'm often met…with the excuse "I'm busy."…When I dig deeper, it turns out…to be about the unknown or shyness.…I won't know anyone, I don't have groovy designer clothes.…I won't know what to say.…Of course, my answer is, "And?"…My first event was a lecture for AIGA Los Angeles.…I was 18 and terrified.…It turned out I knew some of the other atendees…who introduced me to their friends,…and the ball started rolling.…
And I had the wrong clothes, I still do.…I don't have all black outfits,…and am often he only one in something colorful.…But so what?…A very famous designer told me early on,…always wear the brightest thing in the room.…Here's the thing about design events.…First, depending on your location,…there are probably several a year.…Some of the speakers will be inspiring,…some you'll disagree with, but they all make you think.…Design conferences happen annually.…There are two large national conferences.…
The AIGA annual conference, and the HOW conference.…
In this course, Sean takes you through the steps of determining what your design identity is and developing the essential pieces every promotional system needs. He takes a deep dive into some of the more complex and critical components, such as developing an effective and elegant website, and also touches on topics one might not think of—such as writing an effective bio and working with colleges to give back and brand build. Learn how to let the world know who you are and what you do. Start promoting your design career now.
- Compiling brand assets: your CV, images, and project descriptions
- Creating a website to showcase you and your portfolio
- Creating business cards
- Sending thank-yous
- Managing your social media presence
- Joining AIGA and other design organizations
- Participating in events and conferences
Skill Level Beginner
Running a Design Business: Starting Smallwith Petrula Vrontikis1h 33m Appropriate for all
1. The Brand Assets
2. Your Website
3. Print Materials
4. Communications and Social Media
Next steps3m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.