Learn about competitions and their benefit, understand how to be on a jury.
- At one point design competitions were the only…way to be recognized at the beginning of a career.…Today that's not true but they still make a difference.…Work that has been selected for a competition…or won Best in Show has more validity than…something simply posted online.…Clients and other designers understand that…this work was curated and judged against others.…That has power.…Design competitions are like Winston Churchill's…comment on democracy.…To paraphrase, democracy is the worst form of…government but it's the best one ever invented.…
Design competitions are inherently flawed.…Regardless of the amount of information provided,…work is judged on aesthethics and concepts,…not whether it failed or succeeded.…That's both bad and good.…Some of the work that moved the profession…forward failed commercially but inspired…other ideas and movements.…The point here is to not take inclusion or…exclusion in a competition too seriously.…It's not personal and often the most unique work…is passed over because a group of people…
In this course, Sean takes you through the steps of determining what your design identity is and developing the essential pieces every promotional system needs. He takes a deep dive into some of the more complex and critical components, such as developing an effective and elegant website, and also touches on topics one might not think of—such as writing an effective bio and working with colleges to give back and brand build. Learn how to let the world know who you are and what you do. Start promoting your design career now.
- Compiling brand assets: your CV, images, and project descriptions
- Creating a website to showcase you and your portfolio
- Creating business cards
- Sending thank-yous
- Managing your social media presence
- Joining AIGA and other design organizations
- Participating in events and conferences
Skill Level Beginner
Running a Design Business: Starting Smallwith Petrula Vrontikis1h 33m Appropriate for all
1. The Brand Assets
2. Your Website
3. Print Materials
4. Communications and Social Media
Next steps3m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.