Understand the importance of a strong business card and how to design it.
- There is a great scene that most designers love…in the movie American Psycho.…Several characters sit around a table…and compare their business cards.…The quality of exact shade, or white, of the paper,…engraving quality, typography and weight are discussed.…Unfortunately, things go badly…for the one executive with the best card…as another character is a psycho killer.…I love this scene because it talks about…the incredible importance of something…most people would ignore.…Your business card is your right-hand man.…
It's the person you leave behind…once you leave a meeting.…It needs to represent your brand…and do it with punch.…The most important issue with a business card is quality.…The paper, typography and printing must be flawless.…Whatever your brand communicates,…it must do it in the best way possible.…This is not the place to be cheap…and run a few on a copy machine,…but it doesn't need to cost a fortune.…I print my cards with moo.com.…
They're cost-efficient and fast,…and give me flexibility with the design.…
In this course, Sean takes you through the steps of determining what your design identity is and developing the essential pieces every promotional system needs. He takes a deep dive into some of the more complex and critical components, such as developing an effective and elegant website, and also touches on topics one might not think of—such as writing an effective bio and working with colleges to give back and brand build. Learn how to let the world know who you are and what you do. Start promoting your design career now.
- Compiling brand assets: your CV, images, and project descriptions
- Creating a website to showcase you and your portfolio
- Creating business cards
- Sending thank-yous
- Managing your social media presence
- Joining AIGA and other design organizations
- Participating in events and conferences
Skill Level Beginner
Running a Design Business: Starting Smallwith Petrula Vrontikis1h 33m Appropriate for all
1. The Brand Assets
2. Your Website
3. Print Materials
4. Communications and Social Media
Next steps3m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.