Learn how to determine a name for your practice or firm.
- There are several approaches to creating a visual identity…for yourself as a designer, or your own firm.…Just as there is no one right way to design a logo…and identity system for any brand, the same is true here,…but there are basic requirements and reasons…for designing a compelling system.…Here are the basic deliverables of an identity system.…You will need a name, logo, typographic system,…color palette. business cards,…stationery, website, and print material.…
Let's begin with naming, there are two ways…to create a name.…One is to use your own, the other is…to make a new one from a word or idea.…Here's some examples.…Studio Hinrichs, Willoughby Design,…Vanderbyl Design, or Pentagram,…Volume, 8 1/2.…I used my name and my partners name, at Adams Morioka.…When I began another studio, Burning Settlers Cabin,…I came up with a name based on an idea.…
Either approach is relevant, but I prefer…when a designer uses his or her actual name,…especially if you're just starting out.…You need to build equity and recognition.…
In this course, Sean takes you through the steps of determining what your design identity is and developing the essential pieces every promotional system needs. He takes a deep dive into some of the more complex and critical components, such as developing an effective and elegant website, and also touches on topics one might not think of—such as writing an effective bio and working with colleges to give back and brand build. Learn how to let the world know who you are and what you do. Start promoting your design career now.
- Compiling brand assets: your CV, images, and project descriptions
- Creating a website to showcase you and your portfolio
- Creating business cards
- Sending thank-yous
- Managing your social media presence
- Joining AIGA and other design organizations
- Participating in events and conferences
Skill Level Beginner
Running a Design Business: Starting Smallwith Petrula Vrontikis1h 33m Intermediate
1. The Brand Assets
2. Your Website
3. Print Materials
4. Communications and Social Media
Next steps3m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.