Learn why involvement with design organizations is critical and how to engage.
- It will come as no surprise that I'm a big…proponent of involvement with AIGA or other…design organizations.…The basic and simplest reason is that you need…to be in it to win it.…Sitting alone in a kitchen, hoping the phone will ring…and your career will take off is not realistic.…In order to succeed you need to be involved…in the community.…I've heard the argument for years that AIGA or any…other design group is simply talking to itself.…You all just get in a room and congratulate yourselves.…
Well, yes, that may be true, but it feels good to be…recognized by your peers and to give someone…else some help when they need it.…On the most pragmatic level, other designers are…a great resource for referrals.…I've found the community to be remarkably…generous and helpful.…Here's how it works.…I meet you at an AIGA event; we talk about your…ideas and goals.…The next time someone calls me and needs…a designer, I remember that I just met someone…who'd be perfect.…Involvement also provides credibility.…
While it may not be the primary reason that…
In this course, Sean takes you through the steps of determining what your design identity is and developing the essential pieces every promotional system needs. He takes a deep dive into some of the more complex and critical components, such as developing an effective and elegant website, and also touches on topics one might not think of—such as writing an effective bio and working with colleges to give back and brand build. Learn how to let the world know who you are and what you do. Start promoting your design career now.
- Compiling brand assets: your CV, images, and project descriptions
- Creating a website to showcase you and your portfolio
- Creating business cards
- Sending thank-yous
- Managing your social media presence
- Joining AIGA and other design organizations
- Participating in events and conferences
Skill Level Beginner
Running a Design Business: Starting Smallwith Petrula Vrontikis1h 33m Appropriate for all
1. The Brand Assets
2. Your Website
3. Print Materials
4. Communications and Social Media
Next steps3m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.