Join Trish Witkowski for an in-depth discussion in this video The mailing panel, part of Print Production: Direct Mail.
- The only way that USPS can process billions…of pieces of mail per year is with…Optical Character Recognition, or OCR software.…OCR software is known for its ability…to read all kinds of characters, machine-generated print,…hand-printing and cursive, and many style variations.…The OCR technology automates the reading…of addresses on letters, flats,…and parcels at super high speeds.…Automation mail has very little variation in its setup,…and uses only the most standardized formats…and addressing techniques and…also uses the intelligent mail barcode.…
All of this standardization and preparation…is rewarded with the lowest postage rates.…Automation mail was designed to fly through processing,…and there are very specific requirements for the setup…of automation mail.…Here's a quick overview.…In simplest terms, the OCR read area…occupies the entire center of the piece,…leaving 1/2 of an inch on either side.…The address block must fall within this area…whether it's printed in the space…or showing through a window.…Note the measurements in the diagram.…
- Choosing the right mail format, printing method, and postage
- Engagement strategies to increase open rate and response
- The rules of envelope mail, reply mail, and folded mail
- The components of a mailpiece
- Mail-design tips
- Identifying and preventing the most common and costly mail errors
- Presorting and other postal-optimization strategies
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Direct Mail Strategywith Trish Witkowski2h 2m Beginner
Developing Ideas and Design Conceptswith Craig Smallish1h 39m Appropriate for all
Learning Print Production (2012)with Claudia McCue4h 26m Beginner
1. Physical Requirements for Mail
2. Production Planning
3. Designing for Mail
4. Envelope Mail
5. Mail Prep and Optimization
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.