Join Trish Witkowski for an in-depth discussion in this video The Intelligent Mail barcode, part of Print Production: Direct Mail.
- The USPS Intelligent Mail barcode, or IMb, packs a lot of…digital information into its compact stature.…The IMb consolidates the functionality of its barcode…predecessors, the POSTNET and PLANET codes, into a…unique and power packed 2D code.…The 65 barcode encodes up to 31…decimal digits of mail piece data.…Believe it or not, the IMb is the key to…intelligent sorting, tracking, and address services,…all wrapped up into one assuming little bar graphic.…
So want to know what's in the code?…Of course you do!…Moving from left to right, the first…few bars indicate a barcode ID.…The next little chunk indicates the Service Type,…like first class or standard mail.…After that is the Mailer ID, which is a series…of numbers that is assigned by the USPS.…Next is a Serial Number.…Last is the Routing Code, which includes…the exact address and zip code.…By the way, use of the IMb allows USPS customers to…qualify for automation discounts.…
Besides the aesthetic improvement of printing only…one barcode on a mail piece instead of two,…
- Choosing the right mail format, printing method, and postage
- Engagement strategies to increase open rate and response
- The rules of envelope mail, reply mail, and folded mail
- The components of a mailpiece
- Mail-design tips
- Identifying and preventing the most common and costly mail errors
- Presorting and other postal-optimization strategies
Skill Level Beginner
Learning Direct Mail Strategywith Trish Witkowski2h 2m Beginner
Developing Ideas and Advertising Conceptswith Craig Smallish1h 39m Appropriate for all
1. Physical Requirements for Mail
2. Production Planning
3. Designing for Mail
4. Envelope Mail
5. Mail Prep and Optimization
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.