Join Trish Witkowski for an in-depth discussion in this video Guidelines for folded self-mailers (FSM), part of Print Production Essentials: Direct Mail.
- A Folded Self-Mailer, also known as an FSM,…consists of a single folded sheet,…or multiple unbound folded sheets,…that meet the specific requirements…of the USPS letter mail category so that it can be mailed…without the protection of an envelope.…Often, marketers choose an envelope for extra protection,…and to avoid the sealing requirements of self-mailers.…But the lure of lower production costs…makes Folded Self-Mailers a very attractive option.…Here are the minimum and maximum requirements…for letter-sized Folded Self-Mailers.…I say letter-sized because folded mail…can also mail as a flat.…
You'll just pay more for it.…However, the benefit is fewer restrictions…and a larger size.…For letter-sized FSM, the size can be no smaller…than five inches long by three 1/2 inches high.…The maximum size for letter-sized Folded Self-Mailers,…and also booklets, by the way, is 10 1/2 inches long…by six inches high.…The thickness requirement is 9/1000 of an inch…with a maximum thickness of 1/4 inch,…and the piece must be uniformly thick.…
- Choosing the right mail format, printing method, and postage
- Engagement strategies to increase open rate and response
- The rules of envelope mail, reply mail, and folded mail
- The components of a mailpiece
- Mail-design tips
- Identifying and preventing the most common and costly mail errors
- Presorting and other postal-optimization strategies
Skill Level Beginner
Developing Ideas and Design Conceptswith Craig Smallish1h 39m Appropriate for all
1. Physical Requirements for Mail
2. Production Planning
3. Designing for Mail
4. Envelope Mail
5. Mail Prep and Optimization
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.