Join Trish Witkowski for an in-depth discussion in this video Guidelines for booklets, part of Print Production Essentials: Direct Mail.
- When the content of a mailpiece requires a format…that is more like a book than a folded brochure,…direct marketers turn to the booklet format.…Booklets are USPS letter-sized, multi-page…mail pieces with a bound edge.…This format is also commonly called the "Slim Jim."…Bookalogs are letter-sized catalogs.…Depending upon page count, the binding method…can vary from saddle-stitching…to perfect binding or pasting.…Booklets must be uniformly thick…and are almost always self-mailing,…but the can be slipped into an envelope too.…
Since you're in the letter mail category,…you need to be sure that you're meeting…aspect ratio requirements as well…or your booklet will be non-machinable…and subject to extra surcharges.…If you're unfamiliar with aspect ratio,…check out the aspect ration movie…in Chapter two of this course.…There are several different booklet formats…defined by the USPS.…The three most common are the Simple Spine booklet,…the Oblong booklet, and the Folded booklet.…The formats have very specific size,…paper weight and tabbing requirements.…
- Choosing the right mail format, printing method, and postage
- Engagement strategies to increase open rate and response
- The rules of envelope mail, reply mail, and folded mail
- The components of a mailpiece
- Mail-design tips
- Identifying and preventing the most common and costly mail errors
- Presorting and other postal-optimization strategies
Skill Level Beginner
Developing Ideas and Design Conceptswith Craig Smallish1h 39m Appropriate for all
1. Physical Requirements for Mail
2. Production Planning
3. Designing for Mail
4. Envelope Mail
5. Mail Prep and Optimization
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.