Learn the major milestones of data science history by discussing the origin of data science, a timeline of major breakthroughs in data science, and how data science is useful and found in every aspect of our lives.
- [Voiceover] The origin of data science…coincides with the wide adoption of computers.…The discipline of statistics…existed well before computer science,…but computers empowered statisticians…to solve a wide variety of practical problems…with real life implications,…since heavy number crunching and massive storage of data…became feasible due to the emergence…of modern computing technologies.…
The invention of database management systems in the 1960s,…and relational database management systems in the 1970s,…accelerated the pace of this marriage…between statistics and computer science.…In the late 1980s, terms such as knowledge discovery…and data mining started being used widely.…In the early 1990s, database industry practitioners…started noticing the explosion of business data…in the form of big data.…
The official start of using the phrase big data…can be traced back to an article published…in the ACM Digital Library in 1997.…In the late 1990s, the phrase data science…first appeared to inspire researchers and professionals…
Jungwoo Ryoo is a professor of information science and technology at Penn State. Here he reviews the history of data science and its subfields, explores the marketplaces for these fields, and reveals the five main skills areas: data mining, machine learning, natural language processing (NLP), statistics, and visualization. This leads to a discussion of the five biggest career opportunities, the six leading industry-recognized certifications available, and the most exciting emerging technologies. Along the way, Jungwoo discusses the importance of ethics and professional development, and provides pointers to online resources for learning more.
- A history of data science
- Why data analytics is important
- How data science is used in fraud detection, disease control, network security, and other fields
- Data science skills
- Data science roles
- Data science certifications
- The future of data science
Skill Level Beginner
Insights on Data Science: Lillian Piersonwith Lillian Pierson, P.E.23m 51s Intermediate
1. Define Data Science
6. Future of Data Science
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.