Join Jungwoo Ryoo for an in-depth discussion in this video What you should know before watching this course, part of Data Science & Analytics Career Paths & Certifications: First Steps.
- [Voiceover] This course is for those who are interested in knowing more about data science careers, but not sure of how to get started. If you're excited about the prospect of working in data mining and analytics, big data, machine learning, and data visualization, I strongly encourage you to watch this course. The goal of this course is to clearly define data science, provide you with insight into the data science marketplaces, and outline the specific skills you'll need to master as a data scientist.
Additionally, this course will provide an overview of the certification opportunities and future technical trends you need to be aware of throughout your journey towards becoming a data scientist.
Jungwoo Ryoo is a professor of information science and technology at Penn State. Here he reviews the history of data science and its subfields, explores the marketplaces for these fields, and reveals the five main skills areas: data mining, machine learning, natural language processing (NLP), statistics, and visualization. This leads to a discussion of the five biggest career opportunities, the six leading industry-recognized certifications available, and the most exciting emerging technologies. Along the way, Jungwoo discusses the importance of ethics and professional development, and provides pointers to online resources for learning more.
- A history of data science
- Why data analytics is important
- How data science is used in fraud detection, disease control, network security, and other fields
- Data science skills
- Data science roles
- Data science certifications
- The future of data science
Skill Level Beginner
Insights on Data Science: Lillian Piersonwith Lillian Pierson, P.E.23m 51s Intermediate
1. Define Data Science
6. Future of Data Science
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.