Join Lillian Pierson, P.E. for an in-depth discussion in this video What is the biggest obstacle you've overcome along the way?, part of Insights on Data Science: Lillian Pierson.
- Some people, I think, really have a big visibility…on the Internet,…and sometimes there are people that will say things…to try to hurt me,…and I have to just kind of look the other way,…because, usually these are small-minded people,…and it really has makes no difference,…because, so long as I'm doing a good job at the work I have,…and my clients are happy,…what these other people have to say,…is totally irrelevant to me.…In my career, I've had instances, in my,…my female colleagues have also have instances where,…maybe we weren't taken seriously,…or we were treated like differently.…
Either based on our gender,…or based on the way we looked,…and it's hurtful.…Not only is it hurtful,…it's discouraging.…It helps us feel like we need to not be who we are…in order to succeed,…and that doesn't work.…And in order to succeed,…we have to be who we are,…and I think the way around this is to,…for me has been to band together with other strong females,…and if your work stands on its own,…then those other people will fall to the side.…
Lillian began her career not as a data scientist, but as an environmental engineer. Here, she shares her story, discussing how she taught herself to code in Python and R, and work with data science methodologies. As a result of her own experiences, Lillian is passionate about helping those interested in data science—but who may lack a four-year degree in the discipline—get started in the field. She shares practical ways to acquire the skills and experience needed to become a data scientist, and best practices for landing a job. Lillian also dives into grappling with the challenges that occur in rapidly evolving tech workforces. Plus, she discusses the industry itself, covering recent changes in the field and areas of need, and clearing up a few common misconceptions.
- Practical ways to acquire data science skills and experience
- Which courses should you take to become a data scientist?
- What challenges should people be prepared to encounter?
- Best practices for landing a job in data science
- Common misconceptions
- What key personality traits are common among successful data scientists?
- How has the industry changed in recent years?
- Practical advice for minorities and women pursuing a career in data science