What is big data? Explore its impact on consumers, businesses, and scientific research, and the methods behind storing, manipulating, and analyzing it.
- Hi I'm Bart Poulson and I'd like to welcome you to Techniques and Concepts of Big Data. Big Data refers to data that because of its size, speed or format, that is, its volume, velocity or variety, cannot be easily stored, manipulated or analyzed with traditional methods like spreadsheets, relational databases or common statistical software. We'll take a look at a practical definition of Big Data, how it relates to fields like data science, statistics and programming and the variety of people and skills involved with Big Data.
We'll also discuss how Big Data has been used in fields such as marketing and scientific research, how Big Data influences customer services like recommendation engines and the ethical issues raised by Big Data. Finally, we'll go over common methods for generating or capturing Big Data, storing and manipulating Big Data and analyzing and visualizing Big Data, including data mining and predictive analytics. The applications of Big Data have been extraordinary and its possibilities are immense.
This overview should help you get excited about what big data can do for you. And with that in mind, let's get started with Techniques and Concepts of Big Data.
- Evaluate the demand for data science in business, research, and consumer technology.
- Assess the careers and skills in data science.
- Review the ethical issues in data science.
- Explore data visualization with graphing tools.
- Discover how data scientists use tools such as Hadoop and Excel.