Join Barton Poulson for an in-depth discussion in this video Unstructured data, part of Big Data Foundations: Techniques and Concepts.
- In the last movie, we talked about structured data,…which usually means data that's placed in a file…with fixed fields, such as a spreadsheet…or relational database.…For example, here's a table with basic data…about a few sports teams.…We have a column to indicate the sport,…and we have a second column…to indicate the name of the team,…and each team gets one row.…This is just like you would get out of an Excel spreadsheet.…In fact, I copied and pasted it out of there,…and that's how you would format it.…Easy to deal with.…On the other hand,…there's also unstructured data or text.…
If you were to write this in a report,…you might say something like,…"Two prominent soccer teams in Europe…"are Manchester United and FC Barcelona."…And "Two NFL football teams in America…"are the Oakland Raiders and the Tennessee Titans."…Now, while this data is easy for a person to understand,…it's much more difficult for a machine to understand.…It's not easy to sort this kind of data.…It's hard to rearrange it.…It's hard to count the values,…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What makes big data "big"
- Understanding how big data impacts consumers, businesses, and research
- Exploring the intersection of data science and big data
- Facing big data's ethical challenges
- Understanding the sources and structures of big data
- Storing big data
- Prepping big data for analysis
Skill Level Beginner
What Is Big Data?
2. How Is Big Data used?
3. Big Data and Data Science
4. Ethics in Big Data
Challenges with anonymity5m 51s
5. Sources and Structures of Big Data
6. Storing Big Data
7. Preparing Data for Analysis
8. Big Data Analysis
Next steps1m 58s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.