Join Barton Poulson for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding big data for business, part of Big Data Foundations: Techniques and Concepts.
- [Voiceover] We saw in the last movie that big data…can provide important conveniences…and functinality for consumers,…but for the business world,…big data is revolutionizing the way people do commerce.…In this movie, I want to look at a few particular places…where big data has proven to be particularly useful,…or unusual and interesting.…The first thing we're going to do is look at the place…where most people have encountered big data in commerce,…and that's in the results for Google ad searches.…
Whenever you search for something on Google…or any other search engine,…you type in your term.…You're going to get the results that you want,…but you're also going to get ads.…You see here, for instance, on the top…I'm searching for big data.…I have three ads on the top,…and I have a series of ads down the right side.…Those ads are not placed at random.…They're placed there because they are based…first on the thing that I am currently searching for,…but also based on what Google knows about me.…You can see in the top right…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What makes big data "big"
- Understanding how big data impacts consumers, businesses, and research
- Exploring the intersection of data science and big data
- Facing big data's ethical challenges
- Understanding the sources and structures of big data
- Storing big data
- Prepping big data for analysis
Skill Level Beginner
What Is Big Data?
2. How Is Big Data used?
3. Big Data and Data Science
4. Ethics in Big Data
Challenges with anonymity5m 51s
5. Sources and Structures of Big Data
6. Storing Big Data
7. Preparing Data for Analysis
8. Big Data Analysis
Next steps1m 58s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.