- The challenges of rapid urban development
- Understanding the basic functions and needs of 21st century cities
- Exploring what makes a smart city smart
- How smart cities are planned and maintained
- The role of big data in driving urban innovation
- Open data and smart cities
- Smart cities and the Internet of Things
Skill Level Intermediate
- We are now a planet where over 50% of us live in cities. Our future as humans will be rooted in an urban context, but our cities, are they ready? Hi, I'm Jonathan Reichental, and I've been an urban innovator for many years. In this course, I'm going to help you understand the challenges that face our cities, and how we might begin to think about solving them. I'll introduce you to the concept of smart cities, and provide examples from across the world, from Europe to Africa and beyond.
We'll then take a deep dive into the incredible role that data can play in an urban innovation context. There are a multitude of skills and opportunities ahead, and this course will help introduce you to these. The future of cities is a big topic. I can't wait to take you on this smart city exploration. So, let's get started.