Learn about installing Python and PyCharm.
- [Instructor] To work with the code examples in this course we need to install the Python free programming language and the Python Charm development environment. First, let's install Python 3. We're at the python.org website. And, at the top of the page, go ahead and click on Download. Now we'll see the newest version of Python 3 available for our operating system. I'm using a Mac, so I'll download the Mac version. But Python 3 is also available for Windows and Linux. Click Download on Python 3. Great, it's complete. Click on the download file to launch the installer.
And we can accept all the default options. Just click Continue. And Install. If you're using a Mac, it actually comes with Python 2 already installed. But Python 3 is the current version of Python and has several nice improvements. Either version can be used for machine learning, but there's no reason not to use the newest version. Great, the installation is complete. Next we need to install PyCharm. PyCharm is an integrated development environment for Python. Let's go to jetbrains.com/pycharm.
Okay, click Download Now. Since I'm on the Mac, I'm downloading the Mac version. But PyCharm is also available for Windows and Linux. We have the choice of downloading the community version or the professional version. But the community version has all the features we'll need, and it's free. So it's the version we'll download. Click on Download. When the download completes, click on the file to open it. To install PyCharm, just drag it to your Applications folder. And then now, we can open the Applications folder and run PyCharm.
Now we're ready to create our first project. Click Create New Project. For the location, we're going to choose the location where we downloaded the exercise files for the class if you have them available. Here I have them on my desktop. For the interpreter, you want to make sure you choose the version of Python 3 that you just installed. Here I have Python 3.6. And click Create. And then click Yes. Okay. If we open any of the exercise files, like simple_value_estimator.py, PyCharm will pop up with a message that the requirements aren't satisfied.
To fix this, we'll click Install requirement. Depending on the version of Mac OS you are using, the process may take quite a bit of time. If there's no pre-compiled version of scikit-learn available for your OS version, we'll have to recompile it from scratch. But just let it run until it's done. You can watch the progress in the progress bar at the bottom of the screen.
- Setting up the development environment
- Building a simple home value estimator
- Finding the best weights automatically
- Working with large data sets efficiently
- Training a supervised machine learning model
- Exploring a home value data set
- Deciding how much data is needed
- Preparing the features
- Training the value estimator
- Measuring accuracy with mean absolute error
- Improving a system
- Using the machine learning model to make predictions