Watch a short overview of Internet limitations, including security and identity from a business perspective.
- Let's be blunt about this, the internet is amazing,…and it's changing the world.…While recognizing that we still have 50%…of the world's population to connect,…the internet has fundamentally touched…almost all aspects of life for half our planet…and, undoubtedly, has impacts on the other 50% too.…The internet plays a role in how we work, learn,…communicate, play, and so much more.…It has significantly impacted industries…like newspapers and brick-and-mortar retail,…reinvented others like how we manage our money,…and created new industries such as social media…and online dating.…
You get it, the internet has been a big deal…and continues to be.…In fact, the most disruptive days of the internet…may still be ahead of us.…Some have said that we're still in the opening act.…Of course, it's easy to focus on all the positives…of the internet, such as low-cost communications…anywhere in the world, low barriers to setting up…and running a global online business,…and new ways to access healthcare information and services.…
Jonathan begins by describing some of the current challenges with the Internet, including existing risks and security problems such as identity management. Next, he describes how traditional online databases function, so that you have a basis for how the blockchain redesigns this function. He then describes how the blockchain becomes a potential solution for many of the existing limitations of online databases. Since the blockchain has its genesis in Bitcoin—the digital currency—he provides some background on that too. He also discusses how blockchain technology actually offers new capabilities beyond simply solving old problems. To wrap up the course, Jonathan shares steps you can take in your organization to understand the implications of the blockchain.
- Explain what Captcha does.
- List the core benefits of a traditional database.
- Assess whether Bitcoin requires any intermediaries in a transaction or not.
- Explain why blockchain technology is useful beyond cryptocurrency.
- Identify some ways to reduce the risk of blockchain innovation.