Join Barton Poulson for an in-depth discussion in this video Recommendation engines, part of The Data Science of Retail, Sales, and Commerce.
- [Instructor] Did you know…that the average supermarket stocks…about 40,000 different items,…and that Amazon sells about 500 million different items?…The choices can be overwhelming.…They can cause a person to just give up and go home.…But wouldn't it be great if you could…personally guide your own customers to the things…that they most want that will delight them,…and make them want to come back?…Recommendation engines can help you do that.…The basic idea of a recommendation engine is…to look at a few important pieces of information.…
So for example, what is the customer looking…at right now on your website?…And then also, what do you know…about the customer?…You have some demographic information about them.…You know where they're from, you know how…they typically pay for things, you know their history.…You also want to know what have similar people looked at?…So people who resemble your current customer…in many ways, when they've looked at this item,…what other sorts of things have they looked at?…So you have a social context to put the purchase in.…
- Data fundamentals
- Retail, sales, and marketing data
- Analyzing consumer sentiment
- Exploring market segmentation
- Evaluating leads and customers
- Getting recommendations from engines
- Pricing dynamically
- Predicting trends
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 04/02/2018. What changed?
A: We added one video on data science careers in retail and sales.