Join Barton Poulson for an in-depth discussion in this video Predictive analytics, part of Big Data Foundations: Techniques and Concepts.
- Predictive analytics is the crystal ball of big data.…That is, it represents a range of techniques…that are adapted to work with big data…to try to predict future events…based on past observations.…And while people have been trying to predict the future…ever since there have been people,…the raw resources of big data…and the sophistication of modern predictive modeling…have fundamentally changed the way…that we look into the future.…In the popular world, there are a few well-known…examples of predictive analytics.…
The first is in baseball,…as shown in the book and the movie, Moneyball,…where statistical analysis is used to assist to identify…an offensive player's scoring ability.…And the standard criteria that have been used…by people for a hundred years in baseball…is to look at things like batting averages and RBIs…or runs batted in, stolen bases, and what happened is,…baseball has an enormous data set,…because it's very easy to count discrete events that occur,…and so, you're able to go back and deal with…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What makes big data "big"
- Understanding how big data impacts consumers, businesses, and research
- Exploring the intersection of data science and big data
- Facing big data's ethical challenges
- Understanding the sources and structures of big data
- Storing big data
- Prepping big data for analysis
Skill Level Beginner
What Is Big Data?
2. How Is Big Data used?
3. Big Data and Data Science
4. Ethics in Big Data
Challenges with anonymity5m 51s
5. Sources and Structures of Big Data
6. Storing Big Data
7. Preparing Data for Analysis
8. Big Data Analysis
Next steps1m 58s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.