Learn about the importance of data and IoT.
- Smart cities present us not just with probems, but with a abundance of opportunities for problem-solving. Solutions will also bring economic opportunity. One consulting firm suggests the economic benefits may be in the trillions of dollars over a decade. To address these needs, we will need people focused on smart cities. We'll need more data scientists, computer programmers, project managers, engineers, entrepreneurs, and many more skills.
The future of building smart cities won't be easy, and certainly will make demands that may be hard to reach. Funding challenges and city leadership are two areas that will need special attention. I suggest the following next steps. Check out my Open Data: Unleashing Hidden Value course, and if you would like to start innovating using data with your city, determine whether your city has an open data portal. I'm confident that on balance, our future in cities is bright if we make the right choices.
The only question now is whether you will play a part.
- The challenges of rapid urban development
- Understanding the basic functions and needs of 21st century cities
- Exploring what makes a smart city smart
- How smart cities are planned and maintained
- The role of big data in driving urban innovation
- Open data and smart cities
- Smart cities and the Internet of Things