Learn what machine learning scientists do to contribute to the data science industry by analyzing the qualities required of them as well as advanced technical and practical IT skills.
- [Voiceover] Qualified machine learning scientists…are sought after and their salaries are also climbing up.…At the top of their career, machine learning scientists…program computers to learn on their own.…So then more specifically what is required…of a machine learning scientist?…At its highest level the job requires you…to be highly creative and independent.…Nobody can tell you what to do when your job is to enhance…customer interactions at a multi-billion dollar company…through machine learning techniques.…
You also need the discipline to follow through…and meet deadlines.…Finally, attention to details and quality is critical.…As small, seemingly insignificant mistake…can cause a havoc on your entire project…when you have to deal with millions of unhappy customers.…Now let's talk about technical skills.…The most foundational ones are usual suspects…required for any advanced IT professions.…
Math skills are essential because they form the foundations…of the technical language machine learning scientists use.…
Jungwoo Ryoo is a professor of information science and technology at Penn State. Here he reviews the history of data science and its subfields, explores the marketplaces for these fields, and reveals the five main skills areas: data mining, machine learning, natural language processing (NLP), statistics, and visualization. This leads to a discussion of the five biggest career opportunities, the six leading industry-recognized certifications available, and the most exciting emerging technologies. Along the way, Jungwoo discusses the importance of ethics and professional development, and provides pointers to online resources for learning more.
- A history of data science
- Why data analytics is important
- How data science is used in fraud detection, disease control, network security, and other fields
- Data science skills
- Data science roles
- Data science certifications
- The future of data science
Skill Level Beginner
Insights on Data Science: Lillian Piersonwith Lillian Pierson, P.E.23m 51s Intermediate
Learning Data Science: Understanding the Basicswith Doug Rose1h 16m Appropriate for all
1. Define Data Science
6. Future of Data Science
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.