Learn how to use Tableau to conduct a network security visualization task. Jungwoo demonstrates several basic features of Tableau in the context of network security.
- [Instructor] Let's try out Tableau to conduct a simple network security visualization task. You can download Tableau for free from its website. Just click on Try Tableau for Free. As a beginner one of the easiest things you can do is to download a sample workbook from the Tableau visualization gallery. One of the sample workbooks in the visualization gallery is on analyzing website traffic trends. Let me choose the workbook and scroll down.
You'll see a download option. Click on Download, and choose Tableau Workbook option. Okay, I would like to download this so I don't have to do it again. Once you download the workbook let's try to open it from the Tableau software. Okay, go to File, Open and choose Website Dashboard Demo, and click on Open. Ignore the warning. There are two views visible here, traffic trends here, and then page metrics.
The visualization shows the breakdown of how many visits were made for different web pages on each geographically dispersed web server. This type of information is definitely relevant to network security because the trends summarized here can provide clues on potential malicious activities. Without exploring this tool any further you can already fully appreciate the wealth of options you have to do a justice to your visualization task.
- Network security concepts
- The basic functions of a firewall
- Intrusion detection and prevention systems
- Using network data to improve security
- Using log servers to collect data
- Collecting application data
- Collecting OS data
- Network forensics
- Network security visualization