Learn how to take the first steps by building a solid data science and analytics foundation.
- Have you ever thought about how data science started?…Are you familiar with data science and analytics terms?…Do you know what are the enabling technologies…driving innovations in data science and analytics fields?…If any of your answers to these questions is no,…then you've come to the right place.…Before embarking on your journey…in data science and analytics,…it is important to know its terrain…and to get acclimated as best as you can.…
This way, you will have a soft landing…when it's time to make your decisions…and seriously pursue your career…in data science and analytics.…Take Ariel Salvaro.…He's an aspiring professional who is seeking…an exciting career in data science and analytics.…Navigating through information available online…was quite nebulous to him…until he encountered this course…and started taking a more systematic approach.…
At the time, Ariel was just leaving his graduate school…with a Masters in economics and considering working…as a data scientist.…He loved this course and thought that…it was an excellent and succinct introduction…
Jungwoo Ryoo is a professor of information science and technology at Penn State. Here he reviews the history of data science and its subfields, explores the marketplaces for these fields, and reveals the five main skills areas: data mining, machine learning, natural language processing (NLP), statistics, and visualization. This leads to a discussion of the five biggest career opportunities, the six leading industry-recognized certifications available, and the most exciting emerging technologies. Along the way, Jungwoo discusses the importance of ethics and professional development, and provides pointers to online resources for learning more.
- A history of data science
- Why data analytics is important
- How data science is used in fraud detection, disease control, network security, and other fields
- Data science skills
- Data science roles
- Data science certifications
- The future of data science
Skill Level Beginner
Insights on Data Science: Lillian Piersonwith Lillian Pierson, P.E.23m 51s Intermediate
Learning Data Science: Understanding the Basicswith Doug Rose1h 16m Appropriate for all
1. Define Data Science
6. Future of Data Science
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.