Learn about the security-relevant characteristics of IDS and IPS data and how it can contribute to improving network security.
- [Instructor] As you know…firewalls log rejected packets as errors.…On the other hand,…IDSes or IPSes produce security alerts as their data.…They use signature files that define…what should be examined in packets…to recognize an impending attack.…More recently offenders are attempting…to identify intrusion attempts…by comparing the normal and abnormal behaviors…of a network under watch.…In fact, a newly emerging approach seeks a combination…of both signature and behavior-based detection.…
To accomplish behavior-based detection,…IDSes or IPSes need to be able to analyze…a large quantify of data.…Coincidentally many breakthroughs…in information technology and data science…such as Cloud computing and big data analytics…are now occurring.…And they're acting as enablers used…for more efficiently implementing…the behavior-based IDSes and IPSes.…Cloud computing is essential to hold and process…an enormous amount of packets captured by IDSes and IPSes.…
To improve the processing efficiency in the Cloud setting,…distributed computing and file systems like Hadoop and Spark…
- Identify the goals of network security.
- Distinguish types of firewalls.
- Explain intrusion detection and prevention systems.
- Describe packet capture.
- Collect packet sniffer, IDS, and IPS data.
- Explain how to use machine learning to process network data.
- Use data science to conduct a network forensics investigation.
- Identify data visualization targets and tools.
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Network Security Review
2. Network Data Sources
3. Data Collection
4. Data Analytics
Network forensics2m 25s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.