Learn about some of the various components that make up the data science field and the big transformation into the data science industry.
- [Voiceover] Data science is a highly comprehensive term…that encompasses a multitude of disciplines and concepts…including big data, machine learning,…data mining and data analytics.…Big data is especially relevant to data science these days.…Think of the sheer amount of data becoming available…to various organizations and individuals today.…As a result of this trend,…data science has to increasingly deal with big data.…
Essentially big data refers to a data set…whose nature including its volume, variety, and velocity…defies the conventional ways of processing…and requires extraordinary treatment.…Therefore, big data is a relative term.…It is a moving target.…One terabyte may be considered to be big today,…but it may not be anymore in the near future…as the storage and processing technologies…become cheaper and faster.…
Machine learning frees humans from doing the mundane tasks…of trying numerous possibilities of solving a problem…to isolate the best solution.…The relevance of machine learning…and data science stems from the fact…
Jungwoo Ryoo is a professor of information science and technology at Penn State. Here he reviews the history of data science and its subfields, explores the marketplaces for these fields, and reveals the five main skills areas: data mining, machine learning, natural language processing (NLP), statistics, and visualization. This leads to a discussion of the five biggest career opportunities, the six leading industry-recognized certifications available, and the most exciting emerging technologies. Along the way, Jungwoo discusses the importance of ethics and professional development, and provides pointers to online resources for learning more.
- A history of data science
- Why data analytics is important
- How data science is used in fraud detection, disease control, network security, and other fields
- Data science skills
- Data science roles
- Data science certifications
- The future of data science
Skill Level Beginner
Insights on Data Science: Lillian Piersonwith Lillian Pierson, P.E.23m 51s Intermediate
Learning Data Science: Understanding the Basicswith Doug Rose1h 16m Appropriate for all
1. Define Data Science
6. Future of Data Science
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.