Join Barton Poulson for an in-depth discussion in this video Data mining and text analytics, part of Big Data Foundations: Techniques and Concepts.
- One of the most powerful and common applications…of big data is in Data Mining and…it's close cousin Text Analytics.…Data Mining covers a large and diverse field…of activities but the most basic idea is this,…use statistical procedures to find…unexpected patterns in data.…Those patterns might include unexpected…associations between variables or people who…cluster together in unanticipated ways.…For example, managers in a supermarket team…might find that people who visit their stores…in a particular region, on a particular night…of the week are generally different from people…who come at other times and places.…
The market can then change where coupons…are displayed, or if at all, and they can change…where certain items are found from day to day…to build on those differences.…Or an investment company may find that when…certain stocks move up together but certain others…go down, then a particular stock will generally follow.…And that allows them to invest…in that one and hopefully make a profit.…Or a medical researcher may find that patients…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What makes big data "big"
- Understanding how big data impacts consumers, businesses, and research
- Exploring the intersection of data science and big data
- Facing big data's ethical challenges
- Understanding the sources and structures of big data
- Storing big data
- Prepping big data for analysis
Skill Level Beginner
What Is Big Data?
2. How Is Big Data used?
3. Big Data and Data Science
4. Ethics in Big Data
Challenges with anonymity5m 51s
5. Sources and Structures of Big Data
6. Storing Big Data
7. Preparing Data for Analysis
8. Big Data Analysis
Next steps1m 58s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.