- Recognize the challenges of succeeding with cryptocurrency.
- Differentiate between bitcoin and blockchain.
- Cite the methods of cryptocurrency creation.
- Summarize what gives cryptocurrencies value.
- Explain an initial coin offering (ICO).
- Illustrate the challenges of being a cryptocurrency miner.
Skill Level Beginner
- Money, like mathematics, is a uniquely human creation. Thousands of years ago, we invented it and we haven't stopped evolving it since. Money is basically anything that is accepted as a form of payment for products and services. Today, how we pay for things continues to evolve. But the link back to traditional financial institutions has remained largely the same. However, there's a rapid emergence of digital products and we're seeing the digitization of money as well.
Cryptocurrency is a new class of digital currencies that are decentralized and use cryptography to function. It looks like we are in the early days of a possible new revolution in how money is created, stored, and used. If you're curious about the basics of what cryptocurrency is, then this course is for you. We'll briefly cover the origin story of Bitcoin and address the underlying blockchain technology that powers it and almost every other cryptocurrency today.
Then we'll discuss how cryptocurrency is created and how you can create your own. We'll look into the world of mining, an important process in enabling cryptocurrencies to function. And you'll learn what you need to become a miner should you choose to pursue that path. Hi, I'm Jonathan Reichental and welcome to my introductory cryptocurrency course. If you're ready, let's jump right in.