Join Barton Poulson for an in-depth discussion in this video Careers, part of The Data Science of Retail, Sales, and Commerce.
- [Narrator] Data science may be the sexiest job…of the 21st century, but you actually need…to get the job, and so in this video,…I want to talk about some of the things you can do…to help get a job doing data science…in retail, sales, and marketing.…The first thing you want to remember…is what actually constitutes data science,…even though this is familiar,…there are three general elements to make data science.…There's Hacking Skills, that's from…Drew Conway's definition.…Just think of it as Computer Programming.…There's Math and Statistics, or Quantitative Abilities,…and there's also Substantive or Domain Expertise.…
Now, it's nice to have all of these to some degree,…but you don't need to be a unicorn.…In data science, a unicorn is a mythical Data Scientist…who's a first order expert in all three of these elements,…programming and quantitative and domain expertise.…But they're called unicorns precisely because…they're either rare, or more likely,…mythical and non-existent.…Fortunately, you don't need to be a unicorn…
- Data fundamentals
- Retail, sales, and marketing data
- Analyzing consumer sentiment
- Exploring market segmentation
- Evaluating leads and customers
- Getting recommendations from engines
- Pricing dynamically
- Predicting trends
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Q: This course was updated on 04/02/2018. What changed?
A: We added one video on data science careers in retail and sales.